The Objective of This Guide is to set up an effective, scalable Facebook Campaign to Promote your Website content for the purposes of building Custom Audiences from the Web Visitors.
This guide is current as of March 2018.
There are many varying methods for the effective testing and optimisation of Facebook Campaigns. They most often involve splitting targeting between ads sets and the duplication of ads to vary elements of your ad creative. In the interests of simplicity, in this guide we will stick to a simple 1 Campaign / 1 Ad set / 1 Ad structure, leaving any duplication of ads and ad sets for the purposes of testing and optimisation for another day.
In future guides we will cover methods of testing, optimisation and scaling, including Facebook’s features of SPLIT TESTING and DYNAMIC CREATIVE.
- In Facebook Business Manager, Click on the Top Menu, Click on ALL TOOLS, Then under CREATE & MANAGE, click on ADS MANAGER.
- Click the Green ‘CREATE’ Button
- Give Your campaign a name – Try Naming it after the content you are promoting
- Select TRAFFIC as your Campaign Objective
- Give Your new Ad Set a name – Try naming it after the Audience you have created
- Give your new Ad a name – Again Make the name related to the content so its easy to recognise
- Make sure you switch your campaign OFF initially – Turn the Blue Switch in the top right to Grey
- Click the ‘>’ in the top left to return to the main Ads Manager Screen. If you get asked to Publish your items, then just click ‘close’
- You should be viewing the CAMPAIGNS tab with your recently created campaign at the top of the list. Click on it to go to the Ad Set.
- Hover over the Ad set name to bring up the options, the click on EDIT to open the Ad set window
- Go down to Budget & Schedule and set your daily budget
- OPTIONALLY: Set a Schedule – An end date or just run it as ongoing
- Under Audience, click on the drop down next to NEW AUDIENCE and select your previously saved target Audience. In this case we will select our Example Gaming Audience targeting the ‘EB Games Australia’ interest
- Under Optimisation and Delivery, Select LANDING PAGE VIEWS
- Close the Ad Set to get back to the Main Ads manager Screen
- Click on the Ad Set name to go to the Ads Tab
- Hover over the ad name and then click the EDIT to open the Ad window
- Under CREATE AD, select AD WITH IMAGE OR VIDEO
- Select Your Image
- Under DESTINATION, enter your ad details:
- WEBSITE URL is the page we are sending our traffic to
- TEXT is your ad copy – write your messaging here
- HEADLINE is for your Main Headline / Message
- NEWS FEED LINK DESCRIPTION is for additional text that displays in the news feed and other Facebook views
- CALL TO ACTION is the Button that Users will click to visit you page – Remember keep it a soft / ‘Non Sales-like’ Call to Action – Select ‘Learn More’
- Under TRACKING, turn on the FACEBOOK PIXEL button and Select your pixel from the list.
- Close the Ad window and return to the Main Ads Manager screen.
- Click on the CAMPAIGN Tab
- Turn on the Blue Button to the Left of your campaign to enable it
- Click REVIEW AND PUBLISH in the top right corner
Your campaign will now be pending review – Normally it will be reviewed by Facebook and approved and running within an hour or two. You will receive a notification once your ad is up and running.
[insert page=’subscribe’ display=’content’]